On Saturday 31 March, the National Synod of Scotland of the United Reformed Church will complete the sale of the historic Sannox Congregational Church on the Isle of Arran to the newly-formed Sannox Christian Centre.
Following the closure of the church as an active congregation – and the need to spend a large amount of money to maintain the church buildings and Dundarroch Cottage – the synod, at its meeting in September 2007, resolved to secure the long-term future of this historic listed building.
Christians have worshipped at Sannox since 1822 and the synod is delighted that the beautiful building now has a secure future that preserves its integrity whilst providing the Isle of Arran with an improved and restored place of worship and pilgrimage.
The synod hopes that the sale will not be the end of its involvement with the island community. The synod has long hoped that affordable housing might have been an answer in the long term to Sannox. In this context, the synod was pleased to see that, as part of the Sannox Christian Centre’s proposals, it suggested the creation of an affordable housing fund for Arran as part of its service to the community. It is hoped, therefore, that, in partnership with the Sannox Christian Centre and other parties, the synod will be able to set up a housing fund to provide affordable housing in other parts of the islan
d to help meet the chronic shortage of affordable housing.
Rev Leslie Morrison, convenor of the finance & property committee, said: “We thank the community of Sannox and the wider community on the island for its patience in what has been a lengthy period of searching for a way forward. We wish every blessing to all connected with the new Sannox Christian Centre and look forward to visiting and sharing our Christian faith and heritage in this most holy of places on the Isle of Arran.”
The former Sannox Congregational Church (Photograph: Hugh Price)